Rating Guide

X No paws: Not Recommended or product has serious flaws

One paw: Not recommended for most pet owners

Two Paws: Ok product, some reservations


Three Paws: Very good product


Four Paws: Love it, great product

Rover Dog Lunchbox

3 paws

This is a "lunchbox" for dogs. The two sides of the box split apart, one side is a reservoir for water (can hold 3 liters) and the other side contains two bowls, one for food and one for water. The food compartment has a plastic lid which locks on so that food can be kept inside without spilling.

This product can be very useful when going on day trips or overnight vacations. I prefer to bring water from home for my dogs when I go out of town because sometimes well water can disagree with a dog's stomach, and there's nothing worse on a long trip than a sick dog. The water reservoir on the Rover lunchbox is very useful for this purpose, although on longer trips I need to bring more than 3 liters of water- in those instances the larger Woofpak lunchbox may be better. I like the Rover lunchbox because the medium size is easier to pack and carry, even when full of water. The company's website advertises the Rover as being for small dogs, however I use it with my Golden Retriever and it works very well. The only problem is the compartments for food and water are a bit small and because of the unusual shape can be a little awkward for a larger dog to drink or eat from at first. Having the food and water compartments next to each other could also cause pieces of food to drop into the water dish when the dog is eating, meaning it may need to be cleaned out pretty often. I bought the red lunchbox. I would not recommend this color for one reason: it bears a strong resemblance to a gas can! I did not realize this when I bought it, but later I noticed the similarity. Hopefully, no one who saw me giving water to my dog at rest stops on vacations thought I was feeding her gasoline.


Update: This product is no longer available for purchase. If you are looking for a similar product, I would recommend the Pet King Travel Bowl by Petlane or the Travel-Dine by Bergan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Label Cloud

About the Critique

Chicago Canine Critique is a product review site which is part of The Chicago Canine, a website for dog owners with news, reviews, guides to taking your dog places, feature articles, Chicago dog-friendly event and business listings, and more.
www.chicagocanine.com
If you have a product you would like us to review, please email chicagocanine@aol.com

Meet the Reviewers

Below you can see photos and stats on some of the canines who have tested the products reviewed at the Canine Critique.


Bianca
Breed: German Shepherd
Size: "Large" 26" tall and 70 lbs.
Occupation: Pack Dog
Birthdate: 4/14/04



Farfel
Breed: Labrador Retriever
Size: "Large" 100+ lbs.
Occupation: Family Dog



Ginger
Breed: Golden Retriever
Size: "Medium" 24" tall and 65 lbs.
Occupation: Therapy Dog
Birthdate: 1/9/96



Pooch
Breed: Rat Terrier mix
Size: "Small" 14" tall and 25 lbs.
Occupation: Trick Dog
Birthdate: 8/8/94

Run by Chicago Canine

Followers